- Written by Elise Allen
Article I. Name and Definition
The name of this organization shall be the Northeast Ohio Chapter of Hazardous Materials Managers, hereafter referred to as “ the Chapter,” “this Chapter” or NEOCHMM.”
This Society is a non-profit corporation and a constituent of the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers. None of its net income shall financially benefit any individual or individuals. If at any time this Society shall be dissolved, no part of the funds or property shall be distributed to or among its members, but after payment of all indebtedness of the Societies surplus and properties shall be used for the education of hazardous materials managers within the State of Ohio, in such a manner as then governing body shall determine.
The principal office of this Society shall be located in the City of Lakewood, County of Cuyahoga, State of Ohio.(Modified 2005)
Article II. Purpose
The purposes of this Chapter are to collectively represent and to safeguard the common interests of the members of the hazardous materials management profession, to cultivate, promote, and sustain the science of hazardous materials management, to elevate and maintain the professional character and education of hazardous material managers, to contribute toward the protection of human health and the environment, and to facilitate the exchange of ideas to improve administration of hazardous materials management programs.
Article III. Membership
- Voting Member – Any Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) residing in Ohio, together with such other members as are authorized in the Bylaws of this Chapter, shall become a voting member of the Chapter upon payment of chapter dues. These voting members may also serve as officers of the Chapter. Other CHMMs residing outside the stated geographical area may become voting members if approved by a majority of the Board.
- Student Member – Any full-time student at an accredited college, university or institution, within the chartered area, may become a member of the Chapter upon payment of Chapter dues. These members may not vote or serve as officers at the Chapter.
- Sustaining Member – Any person or organization interested in promoting the principles of the society.
- Revocation – Any person may have their membership revoked following approval of the Board and written notification of the Secretary of the Academy of Hazardous Materials Management.
Article IV. Government
The administrative body of the Society shall be the Board of Directors herein referred to as “the Board” or “ this Board.”
Article V. Officers
- The elective officers of the Chapter shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and immediate past president.
- The five officers, and three at large board members shall form the Executive Committee, and shall act as the Board of Directors.
- All officers must be CHMM’s residing in Ohio. At large board members must be voting members of the Chapter.
- The duties of the officers shall be:
- President shall preside over Chapter Meetings and interface with other chapters, the Academy of Hazardous Materials Management and other environmental organizations.
- Vice President shall preside over Chapter meetings in the absence of the President and act as the program director for Chapter meetings. Vice President is expected to run for President at the conclusion of his term
- Immediate Past-President shall be responsible for recruiting members in the Chapter and assisting the Board in promoting the Chapters objectives.
- Secretary shall be responsible for documenting Chapter meetings, maintaining and updating Chapter records and documenting Chapter sponsored training.
- Treasurer shall be responsible for documenting membership in the Chapter, maintaining the Chapter’s financial records and interfacing with government regulators to maintain the Chapter’s non-profit status.
Article VI. Elections
- Nominations for Chapter Officers shall be opened to all voting members. Nominees for President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer must be CHMM’s. Secretary and Treasurer must be NEOCHMM members in good standing (Original Bylaws ~ June 3, 1991 /// Amendment to the Bylaws ~ December, 1993)
- Officers shall be elected by the membership in November of each year.
- Installation shall be effective January 1, for all officers.
- The President and Vice President cannot hold more than two consecutive terms in the same position.(Original Bylaws ~ June 3, 1991 /// Amendment to the Bylaws ~ April 28, 2003)
- In the event any officer is unable to maintain his/her position during his/her term, the board of Directors shall appoint an individual to maintain the position for the duration of the term.
- The results of each election shall be reported to the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Management no later than December 30 January 31 by the Chapter Secretary. (Original Bylaws ~ June 3, 1991 /// Amendment to the Bylaws ~ April 28, 2003)
Article VII. Administration
- The Local Chapter shall be governed by the Board of Directors
- All votes will be by majority count of those members present, except for election of officers, for which absentee ballots will be accepted.
- Before the Local Chapter publishes or otherwise issues publicly any statement upon a policy matter which purports to represent the opinion of the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Management, it must first obtain written consent of the Academy.
- Before any member of the Local Chapter publishes or otherwise issues publicly any statement upon a policy matter that purports to represent the opinion of the Local Chapter, he/she shall first obtain the written approval of the Board of Directors.
- The Local Chapter shall take no action in conflict with advice and direction of the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Management.
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Local Chapter.
- A consensus of the Board of Directors can appoint standing committees or ad-hoc committees as may be required to conduct Chapter business
- The Secretary shall record the minutes of all meetings and shall read these minutes prior to each meeting. Any corrections or deletions of the minutes require approval of the Board of Directors. The Secretary will receive all correspondence for the Local Chapter.
- The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all monies of the Local Chapter. The signature of the Treasurer is required for disbursement of any funds. The disbursement of all funds in excess of $100.00 requires the approval of the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall not disburse greater than 50% of Local Chapter funds as existed on January 1 during any single year without approval of the Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall report the status of all funds at each membership meeting.
Article VIII. Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least four (4) times each year. The time and place of each meeting shall be approved by the Board of Directors.
- A quorum of the Board of Directors is required for the Board of Directors to conduct Chapter business. A quorum of the Board of Directors shall consist of at least four (4) members of the Board of Directors.
- A quorum of the conduct of regular Chapter business requires that at least four (4) members of the Board of Directors and three voting members of the Chapter are present.
- All meeting dates should be preceded by a notice to the membership of at least fifteen (15) days in advance of the meeting except for special meetings called by the Executive Committee.
Article IX. Indemnification of Officers and Trustees
The Chapter shall indemnify and hold harmless each trustee and each officer of the Chapter from and against any and all claims and liabilities to which they be or become subject by reasons of acting as a trustee or an officer of the Chapter for all legal and other expenses reasonable and incurred in connection with defending against any such claims or liabilities, provided, however, that no trustee or officer shall be indemnified against or reimbursed for any expenses incurred due to negligence or willful misconduct. The foregoing rights of trustees and officers shall not be exclusive of other rights, which they are entitled lawfully.
Article X. Miscellaneous
Executive Committee shall establish dues amount for the following year, committees, and other activities as necessary to maintain and expand the Local Chapter.
Article XI. Amendments
Amendments to the Bylaws may be presented by any member at any regular meeting or at any meeting called for that specific purpose. A notice of the proposed amendment shall be transmitted to all members at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting at which voting will take place. A 2/3 majority vote by the membership present is necessary to change the Bylaws.
Article XII. Approvals
- These Bylaws of the Local Chapter are effective as of June 3, 1991 .
- Board of Directors signatures (1991):
President - Michael Paessun
Vice President - Matt Knecht
Secretary - Elise E. Allen
Treasurer - Kenneth L. Manchen
Immediate Past President - Not Applicable (6/3/91)
At Large Member - Kim Griffith
At Large Member - Kenneth W. Doyle
At Large Member - A Michael Schall
- These amended bylaws of the Local Chapter are effective as of December, 1993
- Board of Directors signatures (1993):
President Matt Knecht, CHMM #1197
Vice President David Rinehart, CHMM # 470
Secretary Elise Allen, CHMM #2377
Treasurer Kenneth L. Manchen, CHMM # 0430
Immediate Past President Michael A. Paessun, CHMM # 1640
At Large Member Nick Zingale, CHMM
At Large Member Craig A. Lass, CHMM
At Large Member Jim Anderson, CHMM
- These Amended Bylaws of the Local Chapter are effective as of April 28, 2005
- Board of Directors signatures (2005):
President - Chester Covert, CHMM
Vice President - Mark T. Baumgardner , CHMM
Secretary - Mark A Lamb, CHMM
Treasurer - Jennifer Lenhart, CHMM
Immediate Past President - David Gura, CHMM
At Large Member - Kenneth L. Manchen , CHMM
At Large Member - Ellise E. Allen, CHMM
At Large Member - Venky Venkatesh, CHMM